Treating relapsed epithelial ovarian cancer with luteinizing hormone-releasing agonist (Goserelin) after failure of chemotherapy

Jamal Zidan, Shifra Zohar, Ioram Mijiritzky, Stefan Kral, Boris Bilenca

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

11 Scopus citations


Background: The treatment of patients with recurrent ovarian carcinoma after failure of first and second-line chemotherapy is still debated. Chemical agents used for third and fourth-line therapy usually yield poor results with severe toxic side effects. Objective: To summarize our experience with goserelin in the treatment of patients with recurrent ovarian cancer. Methods: From September 1996 to June 1999 we administered goserelin, 3.6 mg subcutaneously every 4 weeks, to 15 patients with advanced and recurrent epithelial ovarian cancer (median age 59.0, median performance status 3.0). Results: Seven of 15 eligible patients relapsed after platinum-based chemotherapy (3 of them also received paclitaxel and another 2 received tamoxifen). Four patients relapsed after carboplatin and paclitaxel, one of whom was treated with topotecan thereafter. Two patients relapsed after single-agent paclitaxel. Two patients with advanced disease and poor performance status without previous treatment received only goserelin. There was one complete response (6.7%) and 1 partial response (6.7%) lasting 8 and 14 months respectively (overall response rate 13.4%). In addition, the disease stabilized in three patients (20%) for a median of 7.5 months. In 10 patients the disease progressed. There was no significant toxicity. Median survival of all patients was 5.8 months. Conclusion: Goserelin was helpful in one-third of our patients with advanced and refractory ovarian cancer. It is an easy and non-toxic option for treating very ill or previously heavily treated patients.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)597-599
Number of pages3
JournalIsrael Medical Association Journal
Issue number8
StatePublished - Aug 2002
Externally publishedYes


  • Chemotherapy failure
  • Goserelin
  • Hormone therapy
  • Metastatic epithelial ovarian cancer


Dive into the research topics of 'Treating relapsed epithelial ovarian cancer with luteinizing hormone-releasing agonist (Goserelin) after failure of chemotherapy'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this