Factors influencing real-life use of direct oral anticoagulants in patients with cerebral sinus and venous thrombosis

Naaem Simaan, Jeremy Molad, Asaf Honig, Andrei Filioglo, Shlomi Peretz, Fadi Shbat, Tarek Mansor, Waleed Abu-shaheen, Ronen R. Leker

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

1 Scopus citations

Abstract

Background: Direct oral anticoagulants (DOAC) are advocated as equally effective to vitamin K antagonists (VKA) for the treatment of patients with cerebral sinus and venous thrombosis (CSVT). However, data concerning the real-life management practices in CSVT patients are is lacking. Methods: Prospective CSVT databases from four large academic medical centers were retrospectively studied. Demographics, clinical presentations, risk factors, radiological and outcome parameters were compared between CSVT patients treated with DOAC and VKA. Results: Out of 504 CSVT patients, 43 (8.5%) were treated with DOAC, and the remaining 461 (91.5%) were treated with VKA. All patients with antiphospholipid syndrome (APLA) were treated with VKA (61 vs. 0, p=0.013). Patients with a history or presence of malignancy were also more often treated with VKA (16% vs. 5%, p=0.046). Other risk factors for thrombosis did not differ between the groups. There were no differences in clot extent or location and no differences in the percentage of favorable outcomes or mortality were observed. Conclusion: Our data suggests that only malignancy and antiphospholipid antibodies significantly influenced physician's decisions towards choosing VKA rather than DOAC. DOAC appear to be as effective and safe as VKA in patients with CSVT.

Original languageEnglish
Article number107223
JournalJournal of Stroke and Cerebrovascular Diseases
Volume32
Issue number9
DOIs
StatePublished - Sep 2023

Bibliographical note

Publisher Copyright:
© 2023 Elsevier Inc.

Keywords

  • Cerebral sinus and venous thrombosis (CSVT)
  • Direct oral anticoagulants (DOAC)
  • Stroke
  • Vitamin K antagonists (VKA)

Fingerprint

Dive into the research topics of 'Factors influencing real-life use of direct oral anticoagulants in patients with cerebral sinus and venous thrombosis'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this