Comparison between mothers and fathers in coping with autistic children: A multivariate model

Shlomo Kaniel, Ayelet Siman-Tov

    Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

    24 Scopus citations

    Abstract

    The main purpose of this research is to compare the differences between how mothers and fathers cope with autistic children based on a multivariate model that describes the relationships between parental psychological resources, parental stress appraisal and parental adjustment. 176 parents who lived in Israel (88 mothers and 88 fathers) of children aged between 6 to 16 most of them (81%) were diagnosed as suffering from PDD and the rest (19%) as suffering from PDDNOS. The parents answered several questionnaires measuring parental psychological resources (social support, sense of coherence, locus of control), parental appraisal of stress (challenge vs. threat), and parental adjustment (mental health and marriage quality). The results show that all the variables entered the path analysis model with the same pattern. However, some links between the variables are quite similar for mothers and fathers while others are different. The results lead to several interesting suggestions for future research using dynamic systems framework and process-oriented methodological approaches.

    Original languageEnglish
    Pages (from-to)479-493
    Number of pages15
    JournalEuropean Journal of Special Needs Education
    Volume26
    Issue number4
    DOIs
    StatePublished - Nov 2011

    Keywords

    • Adjustment
    • Autism
    • Gender
    • Parents
    • Psychological resources
    • Stress

    Fingerprint

    Dive into the research topics of 'Comparison between mothers and fathers in coping with autistic children: A multivariate model'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

    Cite this